Friday, November 18, 2005

Ignore, Read, Buy rating?

When you just want to know if a book is worth buying or not, a 5 star rating may not be clear enough to make that decision. I am considering a Ignore/Read/Buy rating. Since not everything worth reading is worth taking up valuable shelf space.

Bleh: ok but...
Read: worth reading
Buy: worth reading again
Keep/Hoard: force all your friends to read it; buy all versions of the books; buy any related goods

I'll have to mull over the wording. I'm having a problem because there are a lot of books that I'm on the fence about for Buy vs. Hoard, and Read vs. Buy. Maybe I'll have to stick to the 5 star rating afterall. 4 categories is not much simpler than 5!

Hoard titles:
* Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
* Slam Dunk (スラムダンク)
* Here is Greenwood (ここはグリーンウッド)
* Tokyo Crazy Paradise (東京クレイジーパラダイス)

Buy titles:
* Skip Beat (スキップビート)
* End of the Century Darling and New End of the Century Darling (yes, my translation could use some work) (世紀末ダーリン、新世紀末ダーリン)
* The Wizard's Daughter (魔法使いの娘)
* Beauty Pop (ビューティーポップ)

Read titles:
* Menkui! (メンクイ!) The title roughly means someone who likes only attractive people, so I guess it's like the English expression "Anything for a pretty face"
* Whistle! (more for the Japanese study than anything else)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home